Thursday, October 06, 2005

Pens, paper and folders -- oh, my!

My name is Holly and I'm addicted to office supplies.

I'm not really sure how my addiction started, but I think I may have been born with it. As a child, I was thrilled to go shopping for school supplies every August -- fresh reams of paper, new Crayons, an untarnished pencil box and perfectly sharpened pencils with unused erasers. This joy lasted all the way into college, where I had given myself permission to buy new school supplies at the start of each quarter.

Apparently I haven't outgrown this obsession. In fact, it may be slightly worse because, unlike a 10-year-old, I have disposable income (sort of) that I can spend (more like waste) on new pens, office organizers and a dizzying array of legal pads and folders.

My workplace happens to be located next to Staples, so occasionally when I need a breath of fresh air and 10 minutes out of the office, I'll walk to Staples where I gaze lovingly at pens and day planners (even though I've used an electronic organizer for years).

Today, I needed just such a break and a green ink pen for editing (everyone uses red, so I like to mix it up with other colors). After making a careful pen selection, I made my way to the next aisle and was giddy to find a well stocked clearance rack. I purchased four 13-pocket accordion files because they were 50 cents -- marked down from $7.99. Whether I needed four 13-pocket accordion files is beside the point. I mean, come on, they were 50 cents!

I also purchased a folio filer complete with five removable folders, room for a legal pad and two pockets for pens. Again, on sale for 50 cents, marked down from $11.99. What true office supply addict could resist?

I did refrain from a stroll down the desk organizers aisle. I can find those accessories for less at places like Target -- I may be an addict but I'm a thrifty one.

I find a new pen or fresh packet of colorful Post-it Notes is just the thing to brighten my day. It's amazing what some new note cards or a whimsical notepad can do for my attitude. I like to think it's a pretty harmless obsession.

Of course, the "high" can wear off quickly and I usually have to move on to something else. Did I mention I also have a thing for shoes and bags?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are not alone in this obsession. I too have a fetish for office supplies and am certain it began in grade school. I hope you left a few things on the shelf, it sounds like a need trip to Staples. I simply love the thought of colored pens, and note cards! I'm excited right now just thinking about the sale and the possibility of purchasing new colored pens and post-its. :-)

Anonymous said...

I knew I was in for a positive work experience in my first job out of college when my boss took me straight to the office supply store. He strongly believed (as do I) that the wrong pen can lower your chances for respect in your profession. I still love the guy. Oh, and I've learned of a great toy at Staples that I think you need...I'll call you. :)

Anonymous said...

Holly, I think your addiction must be hereditary!You got it from your aunt! I think I became a teacher just so I could continue to buy new pens,etc... and say they're for work!