The first couple weeks of January are just so ... well, "blah." The excitement and energy of Christmas has passed. The living room looks empty and sad without the Christmas tree and decorations. Vacations are over. It's back to the grind with a whole year staring us in the face.
Maybe I'm being a little melodramatic, but I always find the first days of the new year a little depressing. I guess it's just tough to get back into the swing of things. On Monday, it took all my energy to drag myself out of bed. I hadn't worked a Monday -- or a full, five-day week -- in three weeks. Oh, 5:30 a.m. came so early.
I'm halfway through the work week and starting to feel a little more normal. I'm sure by the end of next week, I'll be juggling a busy schedule and cruising right along. But for the moment, I'm mourning the passing of another year, another holiday season.
Although, the retailers are already stocking Valentine's Day and Easter candy, so I'm sure Christmas will be here again before I know it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I disagree, I feel the start of the New Year is an exciting time. I've had a chance to rest and think. I'm ready to face a new year and hopefully (and probably) it'll be the best ever. Sure I'm sad about another holiday past, but the journey toward the next is exciting. Let's go!
Hi Holly,
I have to agree with you. The beginning of January is sluggish, and often feel slow to start. Christmas comes and goes in the flash of an eye, leaving the living room simply naked. If I could leave the tree up all year I would, and have left until April one year.
It is not that I don't look forward to a new year, but Janaury is a tough month to roll through, no holidays after three back to back months of holidays and not another break until Easter.
Best of luck on getting through January. Just remember you are not alone.
January is a tough month to jumpstart the year; cold weather, the end of a great holiday (Christmas), and the end of some much needed time off from work. The thought of January simply exhaust me, and I'm deeply saddened to know that the next holiday doesn't come until Easter :-(
I look forward to 2006, because it is the end of Master's program. The January blues ends mid-way through the month and I can start looking forward to another great year-woohoo!
Post a Comment