Lately I’ve been finding myself with a case of the “what ifs.” That’s not to say I’m regretting my choices – well, maybe a couple here and there – yet I can’t help but wonder what might have happened if I’d done this, gone here, worked there or avoided that.
I blame Facebook. I reconnected with someone whose job description is just what I always wanted to do. I also have several college friends on Facebook and it reminds me of my days as a journalism student at Ohio University with dreams as big as the sky and a passion for a life I knew was going to be filled with absolute greatness.
The silly ideas of a 22-year-old young woman? Maybe. But what good is a life without those big, all-consuming dreams? It gives you something to work toward, even if the big dream becomes a little dream or even if the big dream becomes, well, just a dream.
I’ve written before about how I struggle with putting my faith in God’s dreams and taking my “planner personality” out of the equation. I don’t think God wants us to stop dreaming, but we do need to align our dreams with his will, which can be challenging at times.
I think it just might be time to retire some old dreams. I can’t change the past and might not even want to if I could. It’s quite possible the time has come to generate some new dreams.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Holly-It was my dream to run for city council, then governor and then President someday. I'm okay with the change in these dreams given the recent elections. It doesn't look like fun to be dragged through the mud.
I have often struggled with this same plight. But ultimately, I want to be His child first. Then be a wife to Chris and someday a mother. Being independent for so long before getting married has taken me a while to get the whole submission thing down, but I'm learning. I know that his plans for me (and for you) are "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11.
Doesn't make it easier to sit still but it does make me relax knowing that His best is in store.
Interesting post, Holly. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's comforting to know that others are considering the same thoughts.
I love the idea of new dreams; it's retiring the old ones that really challenge me. I have such a hard time letting go and leaving behind those things that are such a part of me. Any suggestions on really letting go?
Post a Comment